Broccoli Salad is a favorite in our home. Broccoli was on sale last week, so I decided to try a new recipe and see how it went. I was happy with the results. I used to prefer the broccoli salad with shredded cheese in it, but I now like just the combination of fruity and salty with Craisins and sunflower seed kernels. Most recipes for broccoli salad call for sugar in the dressing, but I liked that this one uses honey; it makes it seem not so bad for you.
The other thing I like about this recipe is that the dressing isn’t over-powered by mayonnaise. Sometimes the mayo takes center stage, but it shouldn’t. The blend of flavors in this dish gives each component a role–just as it should. The original recipe said to serve it immediately, but I think the taste just gets better if you allow it to refrigerate for awhile, giving the dressing time to combine. Try it both ways, if you like. And, if you like a dressier broccoli salad, just cut down on the amount of broccoli, or mix up a bit more of the dressing. You really can’t go wrong.
- 1 head broccoli, stems removed and florets cut into pieces
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (I used Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Spectrum Brand Organic Mayonnaise)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup roasted no salt added sunflower seed kernels
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine mayo, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine broccoli, bacon, onion and raisins. Gently stir in the mayo dressing.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve immediately.